Monday, January 12, 2015

Golden Globes Reactions: It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Wine of Times

The Golden Globes have come and gone. Per usual, they were next to impossible to predict. The HFPA seems intent on throwing curve balls, which is better than being stale and predictable I suppose. I did not do any live updating from my Globes party (where I scored the highest on my ballot) because everyone and their mother seemed to be on that. Plus there was wine that needed to be finished. So take a look at my predictions from yesterday to see how wrong I was in some spaces. And below, find out what I took away through a haze of Cabernet Sauvignon.

  • Tina and Amy deliver yet another amazing opening monologue, complete with Clooney and Cosby jokes. "I put the pills in the people!" #deadonthefloor
  • I'm not sure how Joanne Froggatt won, but great speech. I'm always fine with upsets if your speech is on point.
  • Margaret Cho reprises her Emmy nominated portrayal of a certain North Korean leader: "I think 'Orange is the New Black' should be in Drama category. It is like a funny, but not a ha-ha funny".
  • YES MATT BOMER! He gets sweet sweet revenge on the Emmys with a much deserved win for "The Normal Heart".
  • Amy Adams, please take a seat. Emily Blunt was leagues better. Or even Julianne Moore in 'Maps to the Stars' and I don't even like that movie much. Sorry I'm not sorry. 
  • Every winner for TV acting is a first time Globe winner! Especially happy for Jeffrey Tambor and Gina Rodriguez. #themoreyouknow
  • If you put a gun to my head, I wouldn't be able to remember any part of the score for "Theory of Everything". Is this just me?
  • Jennifer Lopez is trying super hard to audition for Maleficent 2 with that dress. #Maleficent2:BackinWhite? #Maleficent2:WhiteWedding? #OrmaybetheWickedmovie?
  • Matthew McConaughey can't catch a break with TV awards. Granted it was one of the most competitive categories of the night. 
  • I still haven't actually seen "How to Train Your Dragon 2" but I'm going to be mad about it anyways. "The LEGO Movie" is just too good. 
  • Michael Keaton started out awesome with his speech...then it seemed to drag on and on and I couldn't understand why he got so much talk time. I was also a bottle of wine in at this point, so my attention span was not at its peak.
  • George Clooney gave a pretty classy speech that was grateful and acknowledged the importance of events outside the Hollywood bubble. I raised my wine cup to him (it was empty though).
  • The acting races are locking up. But its kind of awesome that workhorse actors like J.K. Simmons and Patricia Arquette are getting some much deserved recognition. And I'm too freaking excited for Julianne Moore. I mean, is she ever not great?
  • Best Comedy or Musical is Birdman The Grand Budapest Hotel!?!?! I knew they'd reward it somewhere, I just assumed it would grab Screenplay. 
  • I still think it's incredibly cool that a singular piece of filmmaking like "Boyhood" can win a major award over typical bio-pics and "important" films. "Boyhood" is a movie that by all accounts shouldn't be there. Which is why it was so satisfying to see Richard Linklater up on stage.
  • Next year lets bring back Drunk Glenn Close

No comments:

Post a Comment