Wednesday, November 12, 2014

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Before I jet off to escape the polar vortex fast approaching New York (Vegas baby!), I decided I'd launch a second portion of the site. It is Oscar season after all! I know I'm a theatre guy at heart, and I don't live in LA, and as opposed to my Tony coverage there are many more people talking about movies. But screw it, I love the Oscars too! Especially in a year with a Julianne Moore performance.

You'll notice a second "Contenders" section has been added to the site. Behold my personal rankings of where the Oscar races stand. I will obviously be adding more as soon as possible. Or as soon as my dual rehearsal schedules will allow (I'm a working actor for once twice!). I will update the lists with my current thoughts on how the races are shifting. So come back often to stay on top of things. Hopefully I can help you win your Oscar pool in February!

It's an unusual awards season in that no clear front-runner has yet emerged to dominate the conversation. "Boyhood" seems to be leading the pack with sheer originality. But, with its low budget and limited below-the-line appeal, something could easily come along and knock it off its pedestal. "American Sniper" and "Selma" just roared onto the scene last night at the AFI fest. They are already making me reconsider my best picture lineup. It also cements David Oyelowo and Bradley Cooper as serious Best Actor threats in an already over-crowded field.

Could it help Bradley Cooper that he's getting some acting "street cred" by performing to over capacity houses on Broadway with The Elephant Man?  Another Oscar hopeful, Emma Stone, is also on the boards as Sally Bowles. See LA people? Sometimes New York is the place to be. Where else can you see an actor in American Sniper during the day and The Elephant Man at night? (In related new: if anyone has a ticket to said Elephant Man, I'm right over here. And I'm not above begging. Or cleaning apartments. #helpmeimpoor).

So peruse my rankings. Tell me how right or wrong I am. I'm heading out  west before the sub-zero temperatures hit (hmm maybe those LA people are onto something) and my workload makes me delirious. I hope you'll follow along with my Oscar season adventure. I have lots of opinions to share, and we can all discuss the one question that'll be on everyone's mind til February: What the hell happened at the end of "Birdman"?

No comments:

Post a Comment