Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Nominations Morning

Well I did alright, but like usual, the Tonys threw a few curve balls.

*I didnt think they would take 2 out of 4 Best Musical slots for shows without an original score. So we have the frontrunner Gentleman's Guide, a revue, a jukebox musical, and Disney's fun but very corporate made/on brand/middle-of-the-road feeling vehicle. Beautiful would have been my fifth but I thought they would look to Bridges of Madison County as a musical with a brilliant original score to fill a slot. Guess I was wrong. Though this really should have been the category with five nominees...

*Which brings me to Best Play. Seriously? In such a weak year there is no need for 5 of these to get kudos, but it speaks to the lack of consensus the nominators had, given that nothing particularly stuck out. Im baffled that Act One is the most nominated of the new works, though I cant begrudge Shalhoub who is doing marvelous work in the play. I still think (or at least hope) Harvey's Tony savvy will allow him to propel Casa Valentina victory. In a group where none are perfect, it is at least the one that will engage you and make you think.

*There were some great performances Im glad got remembered. In no particular order: Mary Bridget Davies, Paul Chahidi, Samuel Barnett, Lauren Worsham, Jarrod Spector, and Lena Hall. All of them were definitely "on the bubble" and Im glad they managed a spot.

*And performers who were overlooked (my god was lead actor in a play a massacre or what? It was like Red Wedding: The Play). Again in no particular order: Zachary Quinto, Denzel Washington, Ian McKellen, Daniel Radcliffe, Lisa O'Hare, Gabriel Ebert, Rebecca Hall, and the gorgeous, please-belt-in-my-face-all-day Steven Pasquale. If Bridges of Madison County decides they have to post a closing notice, he is welcome to come sing the score in my room to my every night... moving on..

*The best Director of a Play category is made up entirely of helmers of revivals. Further sending a message of the lacking quality of the new works. I thought Joe Mantello, forever present at the Tonys, would manage a nom over Grandage, but these four are a pretty solid group. And over in best Director of a Musical Im pleased that Leigh Silverman made the cut in such a male dominated year.  I feel like I was the only person for a while who considered her in there and glad I made that call.

*Im glad Machinal got remembered even if its solely in "below the line" categories. I really wish Roundabout wouldn't do such short runs, since a great many people didn't get to see it. It may be harder to sell for a long period of time, but I think it would be doable (better marquee and poster design would be a start...)

*Did ANYONE predict Stephen Fry getting a featured actor nomination? I really didnt hear any buzz about him at all, and chatter was low compared to his fellow cast members. And he managed to likely take that last slot from a Casa Valentina or All the Way actor to become the third Twelfth Night performer nominated in the featured category. Pretty impressive morning overall for Twelfth Night. Shakespeare doesn't tend do well at the Tonys, but this year seems poised to change that now. I thought Menagerie had revival in the bag but I think the two are neck and neck at this point.

Ill rank the top 4 categories as I see them now. Full predictions coming soon.

Best Musical
1.) A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
2.) After Midnight
3.) Aladdin
4.) Beautiful

Best Play
1.) Casa Valentina
2.) All the Way
3.) Act One
4.) Mothers and Sons
5.) Outside Mullingar

Best Musical Revival
1.) Hedwig and the Angry Inch
2.) Violet
3.) Les Miserables

Best Play Revival
1.) Twelfth Night
2.) The Glass Menagerie
3.) A Raisin in the Sun
4.) The Cripple of Inishmaan

No comments:

Post a Comment