Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tony Winners and Reactions

Another season completed. Tony hosts Alan Cumming and Kristin Chenoweth lead a telecast full of huge performances and a couple shocking wins. I went 19 for 24 in my own predictions. I'm kicking myself for not going with my gut on a couple of them (Christian Borle) and ever so happy to be wrong on some others (KELLI!).

Now that the wine is starting to work its way out of my system after a night of screaming at the TV, its time for some of my takeaways and thoughts on the show. You also may have noticed a new page on the site for the 2015-2016 season, because the coverage isnt stopping! Jim Parsons kicked off the new season with An Act of God, and I will continue to update the production listing page with announcements of new shows and stars.

On to the good stuff:

Fun Home FTW!
Every year we are told "the road voters will propel [insert jukebox musical here] to a Tony win". But we are living in a post-Jersey Boys era where original scores rule. And Tony voters, even commercially minded ones on the road, are savvy theatergoers. When you have something as unique, challenging, and moving as Fun Home you can't ignore it. The financial success of Fun Home's national tour is up for debate, but the property is sure to become a huge property in regional markets thanks to its small cast and intimate setting. How many local theatre do you know who can afford to produce An American in Paris? It was always Fun Home out front.

But They Lose Featured Actress
I was shocked when Ruthie Ann Miles won. Don't get me wrong, she's a wonderful performer. But the roles in Fun Home had more meat on their bones, so to speak. The issue may have been a failure to unite voters around one lady. Judy Kuhn was the perceived winner, but she has the most subtle performance. Tough to win with one of those, even if you are overdue. Sydney Lucas is the best find of the season (and holy cow did she slay that Tony number), but after the Billy Elliot controversy and a recent not-so-great-article on child Tony winners in Playbill, there is a bit of hesitancy to reward young performers. Emily Skeggs didn't find as strong of a "narrative" for awards season, yet her song "Changing my Major" is often cited by fans as their favorite of the whole season. Ruthie Ann Miles had been on the radar for a while thanks to Here Lies Love earlier in the season. Combine that success with the obvious support for The King and I, and you have your winner.

Featured Actor goes to: Natha...Richard McCabe?!?! Dammit.
I'm assuming this was most everyone's reaction to Best Featured Actor in a Play. It was always the wildcard category that no one ever figured out. I had considered changing my prediction to one of the likable charmers (Micah Stock, Matthew Beard) or the respected Alessandro Nivola. But The Audience went 2 for 3 last night. Impressive for a show without a Best Play nomination. Mr. McCabe: congrats on your upset Tony moment (even if you totally screwed up my ballot).

Where's Tyronne?
Honestly, I think Hand to God missed a huge opportunity last night. I was saddened, but not surprised the play went home empty handed (it was one of my favorite experiences in a theatre this season, behind only Curious Incident and Fun Home), but I expected them to at least get some airtime for Steven Boyer. Did anyone think to have the nominated actor and his demonic sidekick Tyronne introduce a category? To be fair I have no idea if producers tried to get him on the telecast, but it would have been a great way to highlight a deserving show which faces an uphill financial battle with no Tony wins to advertise. And I was looking forward to the angry emails CBS would get.

Off Camera Winners
It's sad that a history making win for Best Score didn't make it to the telecast. Fun Home became the first musical by an all female writing team to take the award. But the creators' wins for Score and book were relegated to the pre-show. Hmm, I wonder how we could fit those important categories on the telecast? How long were those performances from Gigi and Finding Neverland again?


No comments:

Post a Comment